1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
4 cups flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons softened butter or margarine
2/3 cup castor sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and butter, until butter has melted and milk is warm. Stir in vanilla.
3. Beat melted butter milk mixture into dry ingredients for 2 minutes at medium spead.
4. Beat in 1 egg and 1 cup of flour for about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour and knead until smooth and dough springs back when poked, about 10 minutes; adding more flour as needed.
6. Shape dough into ball, place into bowl greased with vegetable oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour. (I put mine in the oven with just the oven light on).
7. Punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface and roll out dough into a 12x18" rectangle.
8. Spread over butter and sprinkle over cinnamon sugar followed by sliced almonds and chocolate chips. Starting from the short side, roll up like jelly roll then score and cut into 12 pieces.
9. Place pieces into greased 9x13" baking dish (I used two 8" round containers). Place dishes onto baking sheet then cover with tea towel and let rise until almost doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes. Brush melted butter on top and sprinkle over sliced almonds.
10. Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Reduce heat to 350°F and cover cinnamon buns with tin foil to prevent over browning, and continue baking for an additonal 15-20 minutes. Cool then serve & enjoy!
Makes 1 dozen.