one 9" baked pie shell
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 cup boiling water
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 and 1/2 lemons
2 teaspoons butter
1. In saucepan over medium heat, mix together cornstarch, flour, and 1 cup sugar. Add boiling water slowly, stirring constantly and cook for 2 minutes until thick and bubbly. Add lemon juice, zest, and butter, whisking until smooth and reduce heat to low.
2. Slowly add 1/3 of the hot mixture to egg yolks, mixing well. Add egg mixture back to saucepan and cook on low heat for 1 minute. Pour mixture into pie shell.
3. In a large bowl whisk egg whites until foamy and gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
4. Spread meringue over the pie covering the crust. Bake at 400°F about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and hollow sounding when gently tapped on top.
5. Let pie cool completely at room temperature then chill until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes. Serve & enjoy!