1/2 cup sugar
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
3-4 teaspoons milk
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup flour. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and butter, until butter has melted and milk is warm (110°F).
2. Beat milk mixture into dry ingredients for 2 minutes at medium spead. Beat in 1 egg and 1 cup of flour for about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed.
3. Shape dough into ball, place into greased bowl and cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour. I put mine in the oven with just the oven light on.
4. Punch down and turn onto floured surface, until about 1/2" thick. Using doughnut cutter or glass and bottle cap, cut out doughnuts and place onto greased baking sheets. Cover with tea towels and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
5. Brush doughnuts with melted butter or margarine then bake at 375°F for 8-12 minutes until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped. Let doughnuts cool completely on wire rack.
6. For glaze, in a bowl mix together icing sugar and milk until smooth. Dip doughnut tops into glaze then decorate with sprinkles as desired. Serve & enjoy!
Makes 12-14 doughnuts.