1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
green gel food colouring (I used this product)
1 tablespoon chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl cream together butter, shortening, and cream cheese until smooth. Blend in sugar, egg, vanilla, and almond extract until well combined.
2. In another bowl mix together flour and salt. Add to butter mixture stirring until soft dough forms. Add green food colouring until desired colour is met. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill about an hour in the fridge until firm.
3. The dough is very soft so you must chill it to prevent it from becoming sticky. Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Form dough into witch finger shapes (about 1/2" thick) and place onto baking sheet. Press an almond into each for the nail and add any extra details.
5. Bake cookies 10 minutes until just golden brown on the bottom. Let firm up on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
6. Place chocolate chips into a sandwich bag and microwave until melted. Cut the corner off and then pipe "cuticles" onto each cookie. Let chocolate set then serve & enjoy!
Makes about 40 cookies. Happy Halloween Everyone!