2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of half an orange
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 cup chocolate chunks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon cream or milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl or food processor mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Cut in butter until the size of small peas and then stir in chocolate chunks.
3. Mix together milk and vanilla and then add to dry ingredients and mix with a fork until soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and handling as little as possible, pat into a 8" round, about 1" thick.
4. Cut round into 8 sections and place onto baking sheet. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake scones 15-20 minutes or until browned on the bottom and hollow sounding when tapped.
5. Let scones cool and then serve with a cup of tea and enjoy!
Makes 8. *Omit salt if using salted butter.