A modern twist on the classic sponge cake. Lightly adapted from Nikoos Photos
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
50 grams dark or semi sweet chocolate pieces, melted
250ml whipping cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
2. In a bowl sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl cream together egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick. On low speed blend in 3 tablespoons of flour mixture followed by cooled coffee mixture and vanilla.
3. Blend in remaining flour mixture until smooth. In a separate bowl using clean beaters, whip egg whites and salt until egg whites can hold their form but are not stiff or dry. Add half of the egg whites to the batter and gently fold them in. Fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake 18-20 minutes until puffed up and toothpick comes out clean. Run knife around the edges to loosen the cakes. Let cool in the pan 2 minutes.
5. Turn out cakes onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Once cooled, spread melted chocolate over one of the cakes. Whip cream along with cornstarch, icing sugar, and vanilla sugar until stiff peaks form.
6. Spread cream over chocolate layer and then place the other cake on top of the cream. Sift cocoa powder over top of the cake for a decorative finish. Slice & serve!
Serve 6-8. This cake is best stored in the fridge.