75 grams butter, melted
300 ml warm milk (110°F)
seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
10 grams instant dry yeast
500 grams flour
55 grams sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 orange
1 egg, beaten
200 grams dark chocolate pieces
75 grams flour
3+ tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. In a bowl mix together melted butter, warm milk, vanilla seeds, and instant yeast. Set aside. In a large bowl mix together 350 grams flour, sugar, cardamon, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the yeast mixture along with the egg. Add 100 - 150 grams flour until soft dough forms. Place into a greased bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
3. Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free, place until doubled in bulk, about 40-45 minutes. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead in 200 grams dark chocolate.
4. Divide dough into 18 pieces, weighing 65 grams each. Shape pieces into a ball and place onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat and/or parchment paper. Place balls 1" apart and cover with a towel.
5. Let rise again in a warm, draft-free, place until doubled in bulk, 40-45 minutes. In a small bowl mix together flour and warm water until smooth paste forms.
6. Brush egg wash onto each dough ball and then pipe on crosses. Bake buns at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until browned on the top and bottom. Prepare the glaze while buns bake.
7. In a saucepan over medium heat mix together orange marmalade and orange juice. Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for a couple minutes. Sieve to remove marmalade pieces and then brush over warm buns.
8. Let buns cool a few minutes and then serve warm and enjoy! Store left overs in an airtight container or freeze if desired.